The knowledge, tools and guidance you need to take on the immigration process

Getting A Green Card For Your Parents (Or Your Adult Children)

Spouses, parents and unmarried children under 21 are considered “immediate relatives” under U.S. immigration law. But the process is not immediate or automatic. It can be confusing and technical.

I am immigration attorney Ginny Nuñez. I am experienced with family-based immigration and I truly enjoy bringing families together. Call my New York City law office, Nuñez Law, for knowledgeable step-by-step help.

Visas And Green Cards For Immigrant Parents Of U.S. Citizens

Once a U.S. citizen reaches the age of 21, he or she can sponsor their parent(s) for permanent resident status (green card). I assist those sons and daughters with the I-130 “Petition for Alien Relative” and other parts of the immigration process.

The procedure and the timeline depend on your parents’ situation. I handle many scenarios:

  1. Entry visa and green card for parents who are currently living abroad
  2. Adjustment of status for parents who are already living in the U.S. on a temporary visa
  3. I-601A waiver for parent/child who entered the U.S. without inspection (crossed the border) but qualify for an immigration waiver

Green Cards For Your Children

Any parent who is a U.S. citizen (natural-born or naturalized), including stepparents, can sponsor their children and stepchildren for immigrating to the United States.

  • Unmarried children under 21 are considered first preference and can get entry visas fairly quickly. There are no immigration quotas for this category.
  • Unmarried children over 21 are considered second preference. They are subject to annual quotas and must wait several years for a visa to come available.
  • Married children over 21 are considered third preference and must wait many years to get a family-based visa.

Permanent residents (green card holders) can sponsor their unmarried children for immigration, but cannot sponsor a son or daughter who is married.

Once your child is lawfully admitted to the United States, they can apply for permanent residence (green card) and later pursue U.S. citizenship.

Knowledgeable And Compassionate Help For Reuniting Your Family

I know that the U.S. immigration system is complex and intimidating. It is my job — and my joy — to help make the process easier for families who have been separated. I will assist you with all the paperwork and the “hoops” to bring your parents or children to join you in the States.

My law office is located in Manhattan, near public transportation (Penn Station). I welcome people from every borough of NYC and nationwide. Call Nuñez Law today at 917-730-3172 to arrange a consultation, or reach out by email. Se habla español.